Definition of Hijab:
Hijab means to cover your head and face with dupta or head scarf or to wear full burqa. Hijab can be from head to toe. Or only covering of head and hairs is also a kind of hijab. It is an Arabic word which means “veil”.
Importance of hijab:
Islam is the greatest religion which covers all the aspects of life. It not only teaches the ways how to lead life but also guides about minor issues of leading life. Importance of hijab is also not denied in Islam. Islam emphasized great stress on hijab, the way how to wear it and why to wear it. It told to what extent it is to be followed and why to be followed. Islam not only tells what to do but also gives reasons why to do it. According to Islamic point of view, hijab enhances the decency and modesty of Muslim women.
There are different references available in Quran-e-Pak and Hadith which reveals the importance and need of hijab.
As in Noble Quran:
“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And ALLAH is ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”. [Al-Ahzab 33:59]
Similarly there are many sunnah’s which reveal the importance of hijab in Islam. But Islam is very easy and flexible religion which does not bound you with anything which makes your life difficult.
Types of hijab:
There are many ways to wear hijab according to your own choice.
- You can wear a big cloth covering your full body (Chaddar or Dupta).
- You can wear head scarf which covers your head.
- There are different types of scarf as:
v Head Scarf
v Hijab Scarf
v Neck Scarf
- You can wear burqa (Gown).
Hijab is made compulsory in Islam just for the protection of women from people having bad intentions.
Why do women wear hijab:
- Now a day’s, women from different regions wear hijab:
- Some for the sake of restricting bad intentions,
- Some as fashion and;
- Some due to their religious restrictions.
- Hijab is actually the outer protection of women especially Muslim women from evil.
- Hijab is the sign of modesty and Allah likes modesty. Muslim women who wear scarf do not want to expose themselves to the whole world and do not want to look pretty to everyone except their life partners.
Our beloved Prophet (P.B.U.H) said:
“Allah is modest and covering. He loves modesty and privacy.” [Abu Daawood, An-Nasaa’i Al-Bayhaqi, Ahmad].
In nut-shell, if you wear hijab, you can make Allah Almighty happy.If beauty is not exposed, bad things will not happen. There would be purity in the eyes of people and our society will become a peaceful place to live in.